Now that I have my own little matriarch-in-the-making, I feel it is important to keep a record of the influences that I have inherited from my wise female forbears. I am hoping that this blog will become a scrapbook of recipes, rhymes, anecdotes and the like which may inspire, help or amuse.

Friday 9 October 2009

Basingstoke, my love...

Carla is a spirited young lady and can get quite excitable around bedtime, which is not ideal. When we were getting her ready for bed recently, I came across two more phrases inherited from my Granny.

Both expressions were used in an attempt to soothe when I was an easily frustrated and temperamental child. The first, "Gently, gently, Mr Bentley", is not unheard of by others but my husband has only heard it in the abbreviated form of "Gently Bentley". Whether my Grandmother embellished the traditional phrase or whether others also use the longer form, I do not know and would be pleased to find out.

My husband was amused by the second expression as he had never heard it before. When I got myself into a tizzie (quite often but that's another tale to be told), Granny would not say "Calm down" but would quietly soothe with the words "Basingstoke,my love, Basingstoke". None of us know where this idiom comes from. Like the "toe-cover", I think my Granny may have claimed it had a literary origin. Perhaps I should telephone her now to find out.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Helen, guess you've found out by now, but that phrase is from Gilbert & Sullivan's operetta Ruddigore! Helen VN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I think the Gently Bentley comes from a Forties radio comedy, starring Jimmy Edwards (of Whacko! fame)and Dick Bentley. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete